Monday, July 7, 2014

Not Bulletin Board

Have I mentioned how much I love consignment sales? Almost as much as I love Goodwill. I found this huge 90's era wall art frame with glass for $20. Original price tag: $125. Back when navy and maroon flowerdy art was in style.


I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with it, and I admit it sat in my attic for several years. Normally, I only buy if I have a specific DIY project in mind.


A chalkboard might have worked, but I didn't need one and hated to paint glass. So often, frames are only a good deal when the glass is gone.


I even considered giving it away at one point because it had a chunk taken out of a corner. How many chipped frames do you store in your attic? I tried to fix it with wood filler. Didn't work.


But I am not a quitter.


I tried drywall spackling next by wetting my finger and molding it into the shape of the rope trim a thin layer at a time.


Next, I sanded it carefully, smoothing it into shape.

The next part of this project was to wrap the foam core "painting" with two layers of burlap leftover from a wedding my sisters and I decorated. You can see the wedding here. The frame was painted ivory and I might wax or glaze it, but I kinda like it this way. At least for now.

 
Admit it, you can't tell where the missing chunk of frame was. I have skills.


Pass or Fail?


I like to hang pictures on it with the cute navy ikat washi tape I recently purchased from Michael's Craft Store. I love navy all of a sudden. But not maroon. Or flowerdy art. 


I can also write on it with dry erase marker so my husband can remember the zip code where his company's home office is. He said I should just go buy a new frame. Too much trouble he said. Boys just don't understand.


Linked up to http://chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.com/



Addicted 2 DIY

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read comments!